Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Another update! - Revive an old comuter

Another update here for my small computer revival project.

Most of my RAM has arrived and now I have 192MB installed and XP is running relatively well; Chrome and Firefox are fine with one tab open on most web pages, as long as they aren't heavily flash based. Once there is 256MB of RAM in there I'm confident it will run smooth enough for typing up documents. 

To further help improve performance I also changed the visual settings in the "system" section of the control panel. This reduced the RAM usage noticeably, making navigating through menus and windows much more bearable. 

Now the computer is connected to the Wireless network and browsing the Internet at a reasonable speed I am considering putting in a basic graphics card as well to further free up some system RAM, also meaning I should be able to turn back up the visual effects. But this won't be for a while and I won't include it in the final list of parts I purchased for this as it is not necessary and probably won't noticeably improve the performance, I'm doing it simply because I can! In addition I won't include the USB PCI card that I plan to insert to give the computer USB 2.0 speeds.

Once again if anyone is planning to embark on a similar project let me know below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment