Friday, March 23, 2012

Introduce someone to the world of computing using Ubuntu!

My challenge for anyone who is reading is to either introduce themselves to the Ubuntu operating system or to introduce a friend!
In the coming weeks I will be teaching my beloved Grandma how to use a computer, and out of interest I am attempting to teach her using Ubuntu. I have read many posts online about how easy it is to migrate to Ubuntu (I am a mostly migrant myself), but what I was wondering was: Is it as easy to introduce someone to computers the first time using Ubuntu as it is using Windows?
A good number of years back I introduced my other not-so-tech-savvy Grandma into the world of computing using, the then brand new, Windows Vista operating system. This, as you probably guessed introduced a whole world of problems, from disappearing gadgets to consistent WiFi problems. Finally a few weeks back she moved over to Windows 7, with very few teething problems indeed!
I am hoping that, at the very least, Ubuntu 12.04 (Beta) can beat the much hated Windows Vista at first time ease of use.

I will make sure to post on here how it goes and the conclusion of which operating system has the best UI for first time ease of use.

In addition, be sure to let me know in the comments section of any other operating systems that you believe would fare better at first time ease of use, and I'll be sure to try and find another Guinna pig for my testing!

Visit the website below to find out more about Ubuntu and how to trial/install it on our machine. And oh, did I mention that it was FREE?

http://www.ubuntu.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment